Thursday, September 09, 2010

RAOK #1

I'm not 100% sure this counts.  I wrote it down for the ROAK blog here, where you can read my story in situo.

Here is a story that is not exactly a random act of kindness, probably. I was driving home from work and decided to stop and visit my parents, who were elderly at the time. That was random, I guess. It put me in the right place and time.

It was early spring. The leaves had not come out yet, it was cool verging on cold.

After I visited with them, chatted etc and left, I had driven only a short ways when I saw a girl, or young woman, laying on the pavement half in and half out of the road, on the yellow line dividing the road from the pavement. She was not moving. People were driving past, not stopping. I was afraid she'd be hit there.

I pulled up behind her and turned on my flashers and got out and checked her pulse. She was alive, but unconscious. I tried to flag down some cars--no one would stop.

I ran across the street and knocked on a door. The person opened the door looked out, and slammed the door in my face. This happened twice more before someone would talk to me. "Call 911," I said, and returned to the girl. 

I got a blanket out of my trunk and covered her. She was dressed in light indoor clothes and it was chilly.  Then I tried flagging down more cars for help, since I am not a doctor. A can finally stopped, and the man who got out asked if I had HIT the girl! He did know what to do medically, but he set up some flares.

911 came and took the girl--almost took my blanket. She was still alive. I never found out what had happened to her. I hope my attempt at helping did actually help.


2 comments:

bluerose said...

Wow, that so disturbing, and must have been scary.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

It was scary and upsetting--I wish I knew if the girl was okay afterward!!