Friday, September 16, 2011

WeekWord: Wonder

Sally at Sow and Sew is Hosting the Weekword this week--check out everyone's posts!*  Because of the flood in our basement and the Writer's Retreat this weekend, I can't give proper attention to the WeekWord, but it's such a good word I wanted post something.



This is my grandson, Nathaniel, a couple years ago--I chose this picture because it shows his wonder and delight at a music box.  I wish we didn't get jaded with age and could be truly this awed and delighted.


I was awed, and dare I say delighted by the wonder of this tattered butterfly in the fog--still dancing and visiting flowers in spite of a difficult life.  I'd like to be like that.


I wonder also at the passing of time.  This snow fence, meant to slow the movement of the dunes, is nearly completely buried, and some were totally buried.  (I couldn't photograph those!)  My life is hurtling by at breathtaking speeds.  I want to slow down and have time for wonder.

And what's more wonderful (FULL OF WONDER!) than the smell of a baby's hair and feel of its skin?


Here's my silly little doggerel ("poem") for the week.  I didn't have time to write a real poem, sorry to say:


Midnight Runner

In the dark wee hours we had some thunder
rain and lightning that split asunder
trees and turned them into lumber,
our eardrums gone to such a thumper,
and oh such crashing of utter plunder!
The crash and sputter broke my slumber
turned me into a midnight runner,
made me wish I were many years younger
and thinner and stronger rather than plumper.
The noise made me forget my hunger.
I ran into the rain; it was no blunder
to stare up at the blasting wild plunder
of umber light with a sense of wonder!


Mary Stebbins Taitt
110913 1st draft, for the Weekword, wonder
YES, this is a stupid silly doggerel just for fun.


*I am going to be away for the weekend at a Writer's Retreat, so I will have to catch up on everyone's posts later.

3 comments:

John said...

A wonderful post Mary and great photographs.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

thanks, John!!! :-D

Anonymous said...

Such an incredibly talented soul.