Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The party

The birthday party happened.  It took three days of work to prepare for it and at the appointed time, 2:00, the first guest, Gail, arrived.  She helped me bake a from scratch chocolate cake, preparing the spring form pans and decorating the cake.  Then Keith came with his mother, ML.  Then Graham came and played the piano for us.  Gail and I made salad and then Dale arrived.   One person, Sue, didn't come--had to work, which was too bad, we missed her, but the bad thing was that Keith, the birthday boy, was sick all day.  We didn't cancel because people were already here when he got home, so he didn't enjoy the festivities as much as he might have.  

The cake slumped and the wafer thing slumped, but they both tasted good.  The food was good and the company was good and Dale LaPointe entertained us with his stories and props about primitive skills.  He brought his atlatls and spears in to show us and we looked at knapped points and talked.  Graham played the piano, the boys (big and small) shot bomb bags and mini bombs on the sidewalk.   And we washed a lot of dishes but they still aren't done.  The sick birthday boy is down there doing them.  I had to quite--I've been on my feet all day and my fibro hips are killing me.  (Ouch!)

It took three days to get ready and may take another three to clean up.

We had a good time, but it'd'f been better if Keith weren't sick.  He's now gone off to bed.  I'd better go join him.

--
I am certain of nothing but the Heart's affections and the truth of the Imagination- John Keats
Mary

No comments: