Saturday, May 03, 2008

Yellow Calla

I took this with BB's camera while out walking the night before last.

BB commented that it looks like something you would lay on a casket.

The reason people lay flowers on a casket is because they are lovely and filled with hope and are reborn every year. All good reasons to enjoy them any time, not just when someone dies.

Which reminds me of a story about myself, lol! When I was (much) younger, I didn't like cedars, because I always saw them in graveyards and associated them with death. Then when I took dendro, I learned that they were often called arbor vitae, the tree of life. In jest, I called them arbor morte, the tree of death, but as I thought about it, I decided that the association was human and did not reflect on the trees themselves. They are just trees. And besides, a tree of life is a worthwhile tree in human association. I successfully overcame my dislike for them.

For Thursday Challenge: Spring.

No comments: