Friday, June 12, 2009

Oliver Twist, finished

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

My review

rating: 5 of 5 stars
I will not tell the story or give a regular review, since this book and movies made from it are so familiar, I will only say this:

I finished Oliver Twist today and liked it very much. I really enjoyed it and was quite sucked in.

However, I did not like the black and white view of people where good people were essentially perfect and bad people were all bad. And I did not like what happened to the dog. (Or Nancy, but I guess that was essential to the story--the other was not!)

Here is the list of books I have read in 2009 so far and remembered to write down:

  1. Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens
  2. Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
  3. Dream When You're Feeling Blue, Elizabeth Berg
  4. We didn't mean to go to Sea, by Arthur Ransome
  5. Tara Road, Maeve Binchy
  6. Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
  7. The Worst Witch at School, Jill Murphy
  8. Saving Fish from Drowning, Amy Tan
  9. The Nick Adams Stories, Erneast Hemingway
  10. The River King, Alice Hoffman
  11. The Probable Future, Alice Hoffman
  12. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
  13. Lucifer, A Hagiography, Phillip Memmer
  14. It's a Magical World, Bill Watterson
  15. Pigeon Post, Arthur Ransome
  16. I Claudius, Robert Graves
  17. Peter Duck, Arthur Ransome

I KNOW there are others I've forgotten, but I do hope I have something to present at the end of the year. The ones above are presented in approximately reverse order with the most recent first.

View all my reviews. (they aren't that good!)

Dream When You're Feeling Blue: A Novel Dream When You're Feeling Blue: A Novel by Elizabeth Berg


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I liked this a lot. I'd like to write a review but don't have time now--it was set in WW II and reminds me a LOT of stories I heard from my parents and others from their generation.


View all my reviews.

No comments: