Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Walk with Caroline


On Monday, Caroline and I had lunch at Blufin--a fabulous, tasty (if pricey) lunch, read each other's poetry, and then walked at Pier Park. We walked and talked and looked at dead things on the beach, mussel shells, perch that a gull was eating, crayfish (we only found the claws), bluegills and pumpkinseeds, and a plethora of think dried out crumbling fish. I told her how I loved the dead carp with their wide scales and bony skulls. I was afraid she might think I was a nutcase, but she seemed to accept that--and then we found a carp. I came home and painted it for her. Click on the image to see it larger.

3 comments:

John said...

beautiful work!

henniemavis said...

What a lovely dead carp you have here :-) Truly! Dead things are totally inspiring. Dare I mention the Pigeon Archaeopteryx? HA!

I took pics of some dead jellyfish on the beach... they became art too. Will post to the group blog soon :-) Meanwhile, I love your fish!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I'd love to paint the Pigeon Archaeopteryx! YEAH! That would be fun!!! THANKS!!!