Friday, January 25, 2013

The Traveling Minstrel--in progress


I decided to try an experiment.  I am painting an oil pointing with water soluble oils for the first Round 4 pocket that I get.  The time for someone to prepare and mail their moleskine and then for me to have time as well should allow the painting to dry.

While experimenting, I decided to use only a palette (painting) knife.  So there are several factors that are fairly new for me--including the water soluble oils and the palette knife.  The painting is done on watercolor paper treated with two layers of gesso.

Click on images to view larger.  I'm including my process, not that I know what I'm doing.


sketch
added darks in india ink
Blocking in some of the color with pig markers

adding the water soluble oils part 1
adding the water soluble oils part 2

This is not finished yet, but it needs to dry a little before I attempt to add more detail.  I have a glassine to put it in to protect it in the pocket and to protect other things from it.
adding some details
Still not done--one thing I added was eyelashes, hard to do (for me) with a palette knife I mean painting knife.   Still needs more work.

3 comments:

jo(e) said...

It's cool to watch the process instead of just seeing the finished product.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks, jo(e). Some asked me to show my process, so I'm doing a few. I have another to post, too. :-D

Working on a Kresge Fellowship application in Poetry while doing this--need breaks or I get burnt out.

John said...

Amazing Mary, thank you for sharing.