Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!!

This is not an old photo, this is me now. Manipulated of course, for effect.

I'd like to note that I used a "caricature action" to produce a caricature of myself as a witch based on a stereotype. I don't mean to belittle real Wiccan "Witches" who believe in or practice Wicca. Wicca is the old religion, Paganism. It is based in part on the seasons and the movements of the moon. Halloween is a seasonal holiday, halfway between the autumn equinox and the winter solstice.

In Wicca, the "crone" is the "wise woman." I am a crone, because I have pssed menopause, but society and family no longer regards old women as wise, but only as useless and in the way and as a burden. Very few turn to the crone for advice any more. Instead, we shuffle our old ones off into the nursing homes or leave them to live (and die) alone in their homes.

But I didn't mean to write a treatise on Wicca or on aging, simply to wish you a Happy Halloween, however you choose to celebrate. Posted by Picasa

No comments: