Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath

Today, I finished The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath. I read it before, many years ago, and really liked it, but this read through, I found it fairly depressing, though I liked it better and better as I went through it. I didn't really remember much of it at first, but the more I read, the more I remembered. I was listening to the audio book version, and the CDs were out of order. I didn't realize it, so they came up all disjointed and I had to start over--it was pretty disturbing.

The Bell Jar is fairly autobiographical of Sylvia Path--she calls herself Esther Greenwood in the book--and she tried to commit suicide (which, of course, later she succeeds, Sylvia, I mean). I used to believe I was like Esther (and Sylvia), but now I don't think as much. She ends up in an asylum and has electroshock therapy. The details in her book are very well-written.

I had been doing quite well reading lots of books, early, but we've had health issues and the computer's been on the blitz taking lots of time trying to get it working again. :-(

I haven't been writing many reviews because I've been too darn busy, and this isn't really one, either.


Booklist 2010


  1. The Blue Roan Child, Jamieson Findlay, Jan 2, 2010
  2. The Indian in the Cupboard, Lynn Reid Banks, Jan 2, 2010
  3. Summer on Blossom Street, Debbie Macomber, January 3, 2010
  4. Angel Rock, Darren Williams, January 4, 2010
  5. Angel City, by Tony Johnston and Carol Byard, Jan 7, 10 (read twice)
  6. I Can Make You Thin, by Paul McKenna
  7. A Passage to India, E. M. Forster, Jan 12, 2010
  8. The Lacuna, Barbara Kingsolver, Jan 15, 2010
  9. Back on Blossom Street, Debbie Maccomber, Jan 19, 2010
  10. Home, Marilynn Robinson, January 20, 2010
  11. Housekeeping, Marilynn Robinson, January 25, 2010
  12. Where Angels Go, Debbie Macomber, 1-31-10
  13. Muggie Maggie, Beverly Cleary, Children's, 2-1-10
  14. Animals in the Snow, Margaret Wise Brown, Children's, 2-2-10
  15. The Sunday Philosophy Club, Alexander McCall Smith, 2-3-10
  16. The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath, rr, 2-10-10

rr = reread

No comments: