Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Prodigal Sumnmer, by Barabra Kingsolver

I just finished Prodigal Summer, by Barbara Kingsolver, a reread for me. I loved it the first time, and I think I loved it even better the second. It's one of my favorite books I've ever read. I cried all the way the way through. I was astounded by what I did and did not remember from the first reading long ago, and I am so glad I "read" it again. The first time, I read it in hardcover, a "real book." This time, I listened to it in an audio book and I am sure glad I did. Barbara Kingsolver read it herself, and has a beautiful and perfect voice for it--I will both READ the book again, on paper or kindle, and will take it out and listen to it again. WOW! Such and incredible work. I hate spoilers. So I will not say much about the story. But there are three interwoven and interrelated stories (more, really). The story takes place in small town in the Appalachian mountains where a woman lives in a cabin watching the coyotes and poachers, a city girl tries to learn to farm, and two old codgers who are at each other about everything find some common ground. But so much more than this happens--so much more. It's both heartbreaking and life-giving and affirming.

Booklist 2010

  1. The Blue Roan Child, Jamieson Findlay, Jan 2, 2010
  2. The Indian in the Cupboard, Lynn Reid Banks, Jan 2, 2010
  3. Summer on Blossom Street, Debbie Macomber, January 3, 2010
  4. Angel Rock, Darren Williams, January 4, 2010
  5. Angel City, by Tony Johnston and Carol Byard, ch, Jan 7, 10 (read twice)
  6. I Can Make You Thin, by Paul McKenna
  7. A Passage to India, E. M. Forster, Jan 12, 2010
  8. The Lacuna, Barbara Kingsolver, Jan 15, 2010
  9. Back on Blossom Street, Debbie Maccomber, Jan 19, 2010
  10. Home, Marilynn Robinson, January 20, 2010
  11. Housekeeping, Marilynn Robinson, January 25, 2010
  12. Where Angels Go, Debbie Macomber, 1-31-10
  13. Muggie Maggie, Beverly Cleary, Children's, 2-1-10
  14. Animals in the Snow, Margaret Wise Brown, ch, 2-2-10
  15. The Sunday Philosophy Club, Alexander McCall Smith, 2-3-10
  16. The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath, rr, 2-10-10
  17. Gilead, by Marilynn Robinson, 2-18-10
  18. The Big Six, by Arthur Ransom, 2-21-10
  19. 74 Seaside Ave, Debbie McComber, 2-25-10
  20. Tears of the Giraffe, by Alexander McCall Smith
  21. Dust for Dinner, Ann Turner & Robert Barrett, ch
  22. Twenty Wishes, Debbie Macomber, 3-10-10
  23. Morris the Artist, by Laure Segal, ch, 3-13-10
  24. A BIG little life, Dean Koontz
  25. Smoking Mirror, Douglas Rees
  26. Life is Good, Trixie Koontz
  27. Mr Putter and Tabby Write the book, by Cynthia Rylant, ch
  28. Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame, 3-21-10
  29. Rugby and Rosie, Nan Parson Rossiter, ch, 3-23-10
  30. Frog and Toad together. Arnold Lobel, ch, rr, 3-24-10
  31. Prodigal Summer, Barbara Kingsolver, 3-24-10

rr = reread
ch = children's (If you wonder why I read and list children's books, it's because I want to write them--and do.)

Unfinished books 2010:

Pirate Latitudes, Michael Crichton, March, 2010--read half (UGH!) :-( too much graphic violence for me. The story line would have been interesting if it weren't for the overdone violence. I would say this is probably a book intended for men.

Movies 2010--Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (read first, much earlier)

No comments: