Sunday, June 10, 2012

Old News and Short Attention Spans

Emerging from the Flood


Old News and Short Attention Spans

Sometimes, we hear about something terrible that happens to someone, and then they drop out of sight. We never know "the rest of the story."
I had a friend who fell out of a dorm room from a very high floor--he was drunk and should have been killed, but he lived.
No one ever heard anything more about him, but he resurfaced in my life years later--he'd been living with terrible effects of brain damage for many years. His story had long ago ceased to interest the press.
At our house (and in our whole neighborhood), we had a flood, and we are still digging out, months and months later. No one cares or wants to hear about it. They have their own problems.
When we got ready to go camping, we found out that the pump for the air mattress was ruined. We had to buy a new one. (This may seem minor, but it is one of hundred of little things that keep occurring after the big cleanup and the big expenses.)
Today, digging through a box, I found things that were still full of water inside an otherwise dry box.
I am still sorting through ruined slides and photographs trying to save the ones that can be rescued and eliminate the ones that can't. It's a slow job.
I fiddled with this one, made what was ruined into "art." Or, at least I'm calling it "art." (Maybe I should have signed it!)

2 comments:

John said...

So true Mary how easy it is to ignore or forget an others problems. It seems ages since you had your flood but that is the trouble with water , it gets everywhere and takes ages to dry out! Love the piece you saved!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks os much John! I hope I didn't sound like a whiner! AK!

It's a ruined slide that I scanned and played with--very small--but of course, now it has a new life.