Friday, February 09, 2007

Spring?

There are flocks of robins, but they aren't getting any worms. The windchill has been below zero, the temperature below freezing for days and days.

This is on Lakeshore. I was afraid the robin was injured, because it allowed me to get so close. But it did fly, and then I felt bad for disturbing it in this bitter cold when it was hunkered down trying to be warm.

I spent the morning working on another poem about my mother's death. I don't think it's done; it's sort of disjointed. So I posted it at Half-formed as a draft. Then, I continued to work on it and posted another, later draft here. That's all I've done so far today.

Sometimes I worry that writing poems is a waste of time. I'm not sure how it helps the world, does anyone any good or helps our family. It might help me sort out my feelings. Which I guess is good. But perhaps not if I spend a whole day at a single poem, and then more revising it later. I don't know. Wahn.Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

BerryBird said...

I've been worried about the birds, too, with this cold snap. We haven't had any at our feeders all week. I thought they needed more food when it was so cold, not less. Haven't seen any robins yet, though. Poor birds are getting all kinds of mixed signals about what season it is.

Cute picture!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Yes, I worry about the birds and I worry about the plants and I worry about the polar bears and penguins. There were LOTS of robins! LOTS. I know they don't all migrate south, but it seemed like the number you'd see in spring--only it isn't. Maybe the cold snap will end soon for the relief of the robins.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Poor robin!

I put seed out but nary a bird. The blasted wind keeps throwing it on the ground so prolly no one's eating it. Grrr.