Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My New Meds

I took my first thyroid pill this morning. It's on a trial basis, but I may have to take them for the rest of my life. They may help me feel better. I hope so. My mother and my brother are both on thyroid meds, and the problem tends to run in the family. I also took my third IBS pill. My IBS is somewhat better and I seem to be sleeping better. If it's really working and not some placebo effect, I will be grateful. I do want desperately to feel better. But I am also sad. I've prided myself in not needing meds, I associate meds with old people and the chronically ill. I hate putting chemicals into my body and I hate the expense. I'm afraid with these new developments, I am crossing the line into old age and chronic illness more securely--I've really become a crone. Yesterday, Janet at the nursing home asked if Keith was younger than me. He's six months older. That means I'm aging faster than he is, a scary prospect!

I've been talking more about this issue at The Unbearable Darkness of Being: don't read it if bummer stuff brings you down! LOL!
--
I am certain of nothing but the Heart's affections and the truth of the Imagination- John Keats
Mary

No comments: