Saturday, November 26, 2005

pie recipe

Pam wrote:   I bet those pies were exemplary.  I had great trepidation about making my two pies, for I haven't baked but once or twice since we moved into this house eleven years ago.  So I was researching recipes for crusts, and for the pumpkin.  The apple's much easier; I often do a "crustless apple pie" in a big glass casserole and microwave it.  I'm the only one that eats much of it so I get to spice it to my taste, which includes LOTS of cardamom, lumps of ginger, fresh nutmeg, and a few other items.  I was pleased with how the pastry turned out, for I was intimidated by that.  Used one recipe for pate brisee from Gourmet , and for the apples' crust adapted one given me at work.  Used some mace in the pumpkin crust and really liked the result.
\       What're your recipes for your two pies, O! Cook of great delights?  If you're into sharing, that is?

My answer:  Well, I use the Crisco recipe for pastry, but we had so much going on that I bought premade crusts at the healthfood freezer section.  All three of us sat around the table last night peeling and cutting apples then halved a few cranberries--I filled the shells.  I put in about 3/4 c sugar in each, half white and half brown, cinnamon and nutmeg--sometimes I use other spices, but was keeping it simple because it was so late after we got back from the movies.  I used empires and granny smith apples.  The cranberries for extra tartness.  Sometimes I also add lemon juice.  The crumb topping was 1/2 c flour, 1/4 c sugar and butter cut with a pastry blender and sprinkled on.  The crisp topping had brown sugar nuts oatmeal flour and butter.  Everyone likes their pies a little differently and of course, I make my pies to my taste--but usually, other people like them too, and they are SO much better than storebought!  A million times better.  Yum yum!

No comments: