Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gibby and Fender

I wanted to be home yesterday by 3:25 or earlier and thought I might be able to do it, but there was a weirdo in the woods and I took a long cut to avoid him.  Heard some dogs barking in a distressed way.  Shortly later, when I came out on the street, a woman on the next road over yelled over to me to ask if I'd seen two beagles. 

"No," I said, "what should I do if I see them?"

"Take them to the police station.  Their names are Gibby and Fender.  They're harmless."  After she'd driven away, I remembered the barking I'd heard--but she was gone.  Anyway, could have been anything,  Someone else's dogs, guard dogs etc.

I walked back the long way all the way around the old closed zoo--and kept hearing the distressed dogs barking--from inside the zoo fence.  I went to the fence and called "Gibby, Fender."  They stopped howling and began yipping excitingly.  There was a bunch of scrabbling noises, but no dogs appeared.  I kept hearing them all around the zoo.  But I never saw them.

When I got back to the car, I drove all around the Island to the police station and told two people about the woman who'd lost two dogs. 

"Did you see them?"

"No, but I heard two dogs inside the old zoo."

I was afraid they'd say they had guard dogs int here, but they were very happy, said there were no guard dogs and said they'd call the woman.  She'd been there to report it.

I was late getting home and never found out what happened.  Was it Gibby and Fender--named apparently after guitars--and were they okay and did they get reunited with their owner?  I hope so. 

It reminds me of two other stories I don't have time to tell.  Two other unresolved stories--unresolved for me.  I wish I could hear a happy ending.  Three happy endings.

Meanwhile, hope you're having very happy middles!

5 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Sounds like a guitar playing person lost their dogs to me, too. How bout Bass and Acoustic for guitar owning dog names?

The happy ending is the two dogs were found, and they will be reunited with the woman and the guitar playing man on the Jerry Springer show, where the DNA will show that the two dogs are truly related by birth and they all will be going to the Grand Old Operie to perform.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

LOL! :-D

Thanks for another smile, COffeypot! :-D

I sure hope it was them! I wonder how they got INSIDE the fence at the old zoo. I once had a dog that some one had abused and locked in a stock truck--it was there over a week before someone found it. He was terrified of strange men. Had nightmares. I wonder if someone PUT them in there.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

LOL! I'm still chuckling thinking of Bass and Acoustic as dog names. LOL!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Sounds like this could turn into a story idea...

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I was thinking the same thing, riding back in the car. The story was starting to unfold, but I never had a chance to write any more than this about it.