Thursday, January 24, 2008

Renew the Dream: Angelina at the Window

This is a really quick small sketch on a tiny piece of scrap paper: pencil, charcoal and pen. It also didn't scan terribly well. Click image to view larger (much larger than originally drawn!).

Angelina sees some transitions in American Politics allowing her to have a voting choice in the primaries between an African American and a woman. They might actually each have a chance of winning. She's eager for the transition that will allow her to vote for an African American woman and have some hope for her electibility.


I just read a post over at Boobs and Injuries and Dr. Pepper and I want to Renew the Dream for myself, my community, my nation, and the world.

  • I have a dream....
  • I, Mary, have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." And all women, too.
  • I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia and everywhere in the nation and in the world, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood and that all people will be seen as equals everywhere and that money will not decide who lives or dies.
  • I have a dream that one day even our country, a desert country, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, and every other country, will be transformed into oases of freedom justice and love.
  • I have a dream that all children will one day live in a world where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, their gender, religion or lack thereof or by their orientation, but by the content of their character.
  • I have a dream that one day we will unite as a country to care for the deserving ones who cannot care for themselves. We will provide health care for our elderly and not force them into poverty with rising pharmaceutical prices for medicines that enable them to simply live.
  • I have a dream that we will welcome our military home with joy and gratitude and not force our beliefs upon them about a war they fought while we watched it on the news.
  • I have a dream that one day all schools will be public schools and all education will be good and safe.
  • I have a dream that I, others like me and those who differ from me can speak freely and innocently, with no malice in our hearts and listen with an open heart and accept the words of others without seeing harm where no harm was intended.
  • I have a dream that people will rise above misunderstanding, prejudices, hatred and old grudges and find ways to bridge the gap between them and work together toward a unified community, country and world.
  • I have a dream that we will be inclusive rather exclusive, open rather than closed, loving rather than judgmental, and that we will choose to do no harm.
I am calling this a meme of sorts, and I invite YOU, dear reader to participate and post your dream. (PS, I had already done the sketch and earlier part of the post before I read the post that got me started on this.) What is your dream for America, or your country, and the world?

No comments: